Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Imogen Heap



Imogen Heap

Watching Imogen Heap at the Hifi Bar in Brisbane on March 26th 2010 was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Although the fairy-lights brought a sense of daintiness and beauty to her emancipative performance of her new album Ellipse (and a few old favourites), it was the outburst of light within Imogen's soul that sent the tears rolling freely down my face.

With her clever use of vocal dubbing and a sparse array of quirky supporting acts, Ted N Ted and Tim Exile, she gave me a night I could never forget...one that would never be repeated as she was so unique and individual.

The way in which Imogen embraced the audience with her charismatic performance, immediately positioned me to view her in a different light... not the woman whose albums I had spent hours listening to, not the woman that I had idolized since the dinosaurs...but a real woman, a real person, someone I could relate to. She involved all audience members in the overlaying harmonies of her song 'Just For Now', however, beforehand the entire audience was singing along word by word to each track anyway.

Listening to her album on the way home therefore gave more meaning to her music, I felt as if she was with me, sitting in the car, deeply delving into her latest shenanigan like an old girlfriend. To know that a woman of her stature can battle anything and still stand to not only tell the tale, but express it in a way that thoroughly embraces all emotions involved, by writing a song about it, leads me to believe that any challenge, no matter how fierce, can be overcome. My respect levels for her as a person from then on had skyrocketed beyond imagine.

And for this I thank you Imogen, you are a blessing.

I strongly recommend seeing her performance live, and if you are doubting my faith in this woman's live abilities, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25VGdNU3nrU to see for yourself how she performed live on 103.1 FM (USA)...be warned, you are about to be blown away.


You can purchase Imogen's new album 'Ellipse' via iTunes and listen to it online free at http://www.imogenheap.com/ellipse/
The CD was released the 24th March 2010 and is available at all good music stores.

-Cowgirl in the Sand

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live the life you lust.